
I'm back in the Emergency Department this month, now supervising other residents who are new to the ways of the E.D. The other night I had an encounter I am still trying to get over. This hysterical little 6-year-old girl came in with her parents for an eye laceration that needed repair. Granted, it is terrifying to have a needle coming at your eye, but this girl was particularly anxious even after the sedation we gave her. I'm standing next to the resident who is suturing for the FIRST time ever, while this girl's parents are holding her down. During the first stitch, the dad yells out of the blue, "Oh, my gosh! There is a needle sticking out of your eye!" at which point the girl obviously starts to freak out even more, while he continues repeating, "Listen, you HAVE to calm down. There is a needle sticking out of your eye!" I was so shocked that he was saying this, I thought he had to be joking (which still wouldn't have made his comments appropriate), but he was dead serious. Unbelievable parenting.
1 comment:
hahaha. As always I wish I could shadow you. 3 MORE DAYS!!!!!
Post a Comment